CSA MOOC (online course)
Sign up for CSA Booster’s climate-smart agriculture MOOC
CSA Booster has teamed up with the University of Reading and Future Learn to create a new MOOC (massive open online course) introducing climate-smart agriculture. The MOOC launched in January 2017 supported by Wageningen UR and INRA and over 5,000 students participated in the first year.
Can Climate Smart Agriculture help farming meet the challenges of climate change?
Global warming is a reality so it’s vital our societies and industries respond to the changing climate. Can farming meet this challenge?
Explore the principles and practical applications of Climate Smart Agriculture: mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions, adaption to climate change and stable or increased food production in the context of European dairy farming and wine production. How does farming impact on global warming and greenhouse gases? What are the barriers to adopting CSA and how can these be addressed?
Explore climate-smart agriculture and learn how it applies to European farming and food. Register your interest…it’s completely free!
For the first time, this highly successful University of Reading course on Climate Smart Agriculture is now available in English, French, German and Chinese!
While the Future of Farming course overview and registration pages are in English, please be assured that you can view the entire three week course in French, German or Chinese when you go into the course.
Click on a flag to open the registration site for your preferred language!
The Future of Farming: Course details
Introduction to Climate Smart Agriculture
- Climate change and greenhouse gases
- The interactions between climate change and agriculture
- Food security
- Climate Smart Agriculture: history, principles and examples
- Different views on the food production system.
Mitigation: Dairy Production
- The basics of milk production, cow husbandry, digestion and herd management
- Greenhouse gas emissions and the possibilities for reducing them, within dairy farming
- The importance of plants for our atmosphere
- Other forms of sustainable farming
- Possible options for reducing energy consumption.
Adaptation: Wine Production
- The basics of wine production
- General, sustainable crop management practices
- Problems for the wine industry created by climate change
- Possibilities for adapting the wine industry to climate change
- Examples of how data can be used to help make decisions in agriculture
- Critical views regarding Climate Smart Agriculture.